First built as a townhouse for James Wright Jr., a wealthy Columbia merchant and heir to the town’s founding family, this Federal-style brick home also has served as a tavern, a hotel, a bank and Columbia’s first free library.
Owned by the same family since 1958, it has been lovingly restored to reflect its banking history – complete with the original vault, walnut tellers’ cages and early currency.
There is even a bullet hole created when a robbery attempt was thwarted. The building served as bank from 1852 to 1917 and was known to have conducted business with notable 19th century businessmen such as Andrew Carnegie and John Wanamaker.
The museum, the only known bank still preserved in its original setting, is available for tours, private parties and meetings.